Facebazaar

Today marks the one week anniversary of the deactivation of my Facebook account. Originally, I saw the deactivation as a trivial decision, certainly a time saver at the very least. As the week progressed this mindless act seemed to evolve into a major life decision. The first time I mentioned the deactivation to someone, the reaction was priceless. I was treated as though I were a recovering alcoholic. I was pat on the back for the courageous move by my peers. My friends however, acted as though our actual friendship had been deactivated with my Facebook account. The thought of losing the ability to post photos of their cat to my wall seemed to devastate them. My family took it the worst. My Mom insisted that I replaced my Facebook addiction with some other sort of narcotic and my Dad questioned my “anti-establishment rebellion”. There was no particular reason for this apparently shocking decision. I thought Facebook was a childish entity that eventually needed to be left behind. At times I even felt nostalgic as I glanced over my roommate’s shoulder and got a glimpse of the san serif font I had actually grown to miss. Social networking, not even a thought a mere decade ago, now is the basis of many relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment